Letters to Policy Makers
Open letter to Members of the Committee on Environment, Public Health and Food Safety of the European Parliament on the revision of the EU ETS
- Category: Letters to Policy Makers
- Published: 22 November 2016
31 organisations and networks working on a coal free Europe call on Members of the Committee on Environment, Public Health and Food Safety of the European Parliament to vote for a meaningful revision of the EU’s Emission Trading System (EU ETS) that supports the rapid decarbonisation of Europe’s energy systems and transition away from coal in line with the Paris agreement and the leadership role EU is aspiring to play in global climate policy.
The organizations urge MEPs to adopt amendments that:
1. Deliver a meaningful carbon price to phase out fossil fuels;
2. Guarantee that EU ETS funding mechanisms for lower-income Member States to transform their energy systems are well-designed to support and not hinder the decarbonization in these countries;
3. Support the establishment of the Just Transition Fund.