Climate Action Network Europe is looking for a Communications Coordinator
- Category: Blogs
- Published: 02 December 2016
Climate Action Network (CAN Europe) recognised as Europe's leading network working on climate and energy issues is currently seeking an experienced and dynamic Communications Coordinator to join our team in Brussels. This position will offer the successful candidate an opportunity to be at the centre of the largest movement for global change that will affect people and the planet for centuries to come.
Required Educational/professional qualifications
- Minimum 3 years relevant professional experience, preferably in journalism/press or media relations;
- University degree or equivalent qualification preferably in communications, journalism or public relations;
- Working knowledge of EU institutions and processes, and in particular of climate, energy and environment policy;
- Journalism or media training considered an asset;
- Native level written and spoken English; additional EU languages considered an asset.
- Experience of working with NGO’s ;
- Knowledge or experience with campaigning on fossil fuel subsidies or climate finance issues.
Experience, skills and abilities
- Experience writing, editing and proofreading, with a proven ability to manage the production of various types of high quality print and digital media products;
- Knowledge of, and existing base of contacts with European news media desirable;
- Demonstrable experience of using digital and social media to achieve campaign/advocacy objectives;
- Ability to prioritise and manage diverse tasks, meeting deadlines while maintaining high editorial standards;
- Experience of working in a network; internal communication skills desirable;
- A good team player coupled with ability to be self-reliant and self-disciplined, and use one’s own initiative and to generate new communication ideas;
- Solid grounding in Microsoft Office applications.
Main duties will include
- Responsible for external communications;
- Writing, editing and dissemination of press releases and other documents, responding to media enquiries;
- Organising production and editing of paper and digital publications; liaising with policy officers to generate online web articles;
- Manage content and updates to the website ();
- Maintain a contact databases of experts and journalists;
- Cataloguing and maintaining CAN Europe’s media coverage;
- Descriptive reporting to funding organisations;
- Develop/liaise and maintain contacts with the media and where necessary act as a spokesperson for CAN Europe.
This position is based in the CAN Europe secretariat, which houses our team of 16 staff members, in Mundo-B, the sustainable NGO office space near the St. Boniface neighbourhood of Brussels. The bright, sunny office provides an exciting work environment with a restaurant serving organic food, an outdoor terrace, two gardens and plentiful bike-parking spaces.
This full time or 4/5 position is based on a Belgian open-ended contract. Please note that the title of Coordinator refers to CAN Europe's role as coordinator of our 130+ members network and not to internal management responsibilities.
To apply, please send a letter of motivation and CV to email@example.com with Communications Coordinator as subject line.
**The letter of motivation should clearly demonstrate why you want the job, stating why you wish to work for a climate NGO and how your skills and experience are relevant to the job requirements detailed above**
Closing date for applications: Monday 19th December at noon
First round of Interviews preferably on the 2nd week of January 2017.
Second round of Interviews preferably the 3rd and 4th week of January 2017. Expected start date: as soon as possible thereafter
Inquiries between now and December 23rd to Cinda Ayachi, HR and Office Coordinator,
firstname.lastname@example.org +32 2 894 46 70