The Political Process of the ETS reform
- Category: Blogs
- Published: 31 August 2016
EU decision makers are currently discussing how to reform the EU ETS for the post 2020 period. In July 2015, the European Commission released its proposal on the reform.
In the European Parliament
The official title in the European Parliament for the ETS revision discussion is: Cost-effective emission reductions and low-carbon investments
The Committee on Environment, Public Health and Food Safety(ENVI) has the main competency on this file, but shares competency with the Committee on Industry, Research and Energy (ITRE) on certain aspects of ETS reform. Ian Duncan from the UK is the lead rapporteur in ENVI on the ETS file (see his draft report from May 2016).
- The Committee on Development voted their opinion in July 14, 2016, see here
- The Committee on Industry, Research and Energy (ITRE) will vote on their opinion on October 13 2016
- The Committee on Environment, Public Health and Food Safety(ENVI) voted on the ETS reform on December 15 2016
- The vote in the European Parliament Plenary is currently scheduled for 14. February 2017
For more information, go here
In the Member States
Members States have been discussing the ETS reform in their Council meetings. The technical experts meet sometimes several times a months to discuss certain aspects of the reform. Member States are still developing their positions on the reform.